News Editor - New Idea
Job no: 499841
Work type: permanent full time
Categories: Publishing/ Editorial
Who Are We?
Are Media is Australia’s leading omnichannel content company for women. Every day we influence, inform, inspire, and connect with 6 in 10 Australian women across magazine media, digital, video, social, e-commerce, customer review sites, podcasts, events and experiences. Our brands include The Australian Women’s Weekly, Better Homes & Gardens, Woman’s Day, marie claire, TV WEEK, New Idea, Now to Love, Australian Gourmet Traveller, BEAUTY/crew and ELLE. Through our Change AREgenda we drive meaningful and positive change for women
Are Media employs Australia’s best content creation talent and we are proud that our greatest strength is our people.
Why Are Media?
Join Australia’s leading content company for women and be part of an inspiring, creative and collaborative team. We offer excellent people programs including:
- A day of leave for your birthday,
- 4 days of volunteering leave each year,
- An inclusive parental leave program that supports all parents, families & carers,
- FREE digital access to all our titles, and
- Our unique Are Media Learning Academy (Digital Academy, Lunch N Learns, Mentoring and much more).
We support flexible ways of working through our Activity Based Working (ABW) model. We encourage a balance of working in the office and remotely and we believe this enables our people to do their best work.
About the role
New Idea is on the hunt for a news hound, with a flair for storytelling and a proven track record breaking real life stories from around the country. Reporting directly to the Editor and pitching, interviewing talent, and writing news stories on a weekly basis, we’re after a journalist who thrives on chasing down a breaking story, and knows exactly the kinds of heart-warming tales, inspiring reads, and juicy crime specials our readers love. The News Editor will be charged with pitching, executing, and promoting real life and charity-driven campaigns, and building stories for newidea.com.au.
- Pitch real life/news stories to the Editor daily
- Research, interview and write news stories for the publication each week
- Help the picture department source and collate relevant images
- Liaise with and commission freelance news writers
- Negotiate deals with external news and picture agencies
- Help mentor and manage junior staff
- Contribute to the development and execution of branded campaigns
- Build stories for the brand’s website and social platforms on a weekly basis
Skills and experience
- At least three years’ experience in a fast-paced news room or publishing house, with management skills preferable
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A tertiary degree in Communications/Journalism or similar
- An ability to work to tight deadlines
- Proficiency in publishing tools such as InDesign, InCopy and Content Station preferred.
Are Media is committed to a diverse, respectful, collaborative & inclusive workplace. We know & value the success this brings for everyone and we welcome & encourage applications from diverse backgrounds. When you apply, please let us know of any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please apply now and send your CV via the link.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now